Neurology Expert Forum
Lymes, MS? Falling apart!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lymes, MS? Falling apart!

Hi, for the past 17 months I've visited Dr after Dr with no definite answers. My symptoms include upper left quadrant fullness, pain in my forearms, hands, lower legs and feet. The pain is worse at night and is burning and throbbing but sometimes electric shock like. My muscels twitch everywhere all the time, but also worse at night. Even my face twitches.Tested negative for lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, lymes, hiv, mono, cmv and syphilis. The middle of my back always aches and burns also much worse at night. Have had a lymph node at the base of my skull on the right that swells and then goes away and swells again. My temerature stay 100.3-101.7 ever since this started. The only lab result that showed up abnormal is my lactic acid level which I was tole shouldn't be above 2.2, is 4.5. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for all you do.
.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It must be emphasized that in the MAJORITY of cases muscle twitches are benign meaning that they are of no consequence and are not resulting from a serious cause. In such cases, the twitches may be related to anxiety/stress, caffeine, and often occur after recent strenuous activity or muscle over-use. It is important in such cases to reduce stress/anxiety levels and to reduce caffeine intake. Tremors of the hands can be physiological that is exacerbated by stress/anxiety and caffeine.

Benign fasciculation syndrome, which I will abbreviate as BFS, is a condition in which there are involuntary twitches of various muscle groups, most commonly the legs but also the face, arms, eyes, and tongue. If the diagnosis is confirmed and other causes are excluded, it can be safely said that the likelihood of progression or occurrence of a serious neurologic condition is low.

When BFS is present but not particularly bothersome or disabling, treatment is not necessary. If severe and it requires treatment, there are a few medication options though this condition is not very common, and the research that has been done on its treatment is limited. Minimizing caffeine and stress, and treating anxiety if it is present, will improve your symptoms.

Pain can cause a multitude of conditions. For example, fibromyalagia is a medical condition that leads to whole body pains. Its cause is unknown, but it is characterized by diffuse aches, sometimes GI symptoms similar to irritable bowel, sleep abnormalities, low pain threshold, and other features. It is best treated with medications such as lyrica and neurontin, exercise, and physical therapy.  

I would suggest that you continue following up with your physician. If you haven’t had imaging yet, I would suggest that you get an MRI of her head and neck. Also, you may benefit from a lumbar puncture to evaluate for infection, inflammatory, and/or other conditions. Regarding the lactate, fever, and lymph node, I would suggest that you discuss this with your physician for possible biopsy (if indicated).

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.