Neurology Expert Forum
Memory

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Memory

Hi my name is Katie and I am 26 years old. I have always had trouble remembering things, like my childhood, growing up and some other stuff. But lately it is getting alot worse, I can't remember things that people had just told me that same day. I just watched a movie yesterday and when it was over I received a phone call and they asked what movie I watched, I drew a blank, I couldn't even remember the actors that were in it. I also get headaches all the time, when I was younger I used to get migraines, I saw a doctor, they gave me a cat scan and nothing showed up. I only get migraines every once in a while now. One other thing that I feel is EXTREME fatigue, all the time. I have been tired for years, I don't remember a time when I was not tired. I can't stay focused at work anymore, I'm always tired and feeling lousy. I'm afraid if I go to my doctor she will wonder why I have never gone to her with this before. I've been like this as far as I can remember, my whole life, but it is getting worse. I don't want her to think that I am making this up, or it's because it's winter, or b/c of the economy. I went to a doctor once and she said it was due to it being winter, and people get depressed in that time. I'm like this year round.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history I can not tell you what the cause of your memory problems and fatigue are however I will try to provide you with some information. First and foremost, I feel it is imperative that you understand that you can't share your concerns with a physician because he/she will be concerned you are making it up. I feel you should share all your concerns with him/her and questions.

Trouble with memory in younger people such as yourself are uncommon, but there are causes. One that comes to mind is low thyroid function, what is called hypothyroidism. Low thyroid function causes fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance, constipation, and memory/concentration problems in addition to several other symptoms. Another possibility is anemia, which can cause severe fatigue and thinking trouble. In addition, other causes include certain vitamin deficiencies. These can all be diagnosed with simple blood tests.

Another group of problems that can cause thinking problems and fatigue are psychiatric. This is not at all to say you are crazy or making anything up. Clinical (medical) depression and anxiety can sometimes be expressed not in sad or depressed feelings but rather in thinking troubles and fatigue. Treatment improves this.

Finally, certain people live into adulthood with thinking troubles that are later diagnosed as learning disabilities or attention deficit disorder (ADD). Many people think of this as a childhood disorder but it can start in childhood and not be diagnosed into adulthood.

There are several potentially treatable causes to your symptoms. I strongly suggest you share your concerns with your physician. She/he after examining you and obtaining a history may choose to recommend referral to a specialist as necessary.

Thank you for using the forum I hope you find this information useful good luck.