Neurology Expert Forum
Need help finding a neurologist

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Need help finding a neurologist

I've been having a lot of neurological issues over the years that have waxed and waned. It became apparent last year after a sauna session when they all came on at once with some new issues, that it was more than stress, anxiety, hormones, or lifestyle.

Docs so far have done a very thorough work up and don't have enough information to make a call. I think just about all of the MS mimics have been ruled out. The VNG showed central and peripheral lesions, DTRs are brisk but not pathological, delayed sleep onset and no REM sleep on polysomnogram, neuro-opth listed the differential as migraines or demyelinating disease, neuroimmunologist dx complex migraines but that doesn't explain the bowel/bladder issues. The only visible signs I have are tremors that wax and wane, blurred vision that waxes and wanes, and eyes that don't always track together. Triggering factors for new and old symptoms are illness and prolonged heat exposure.

My docs are recommending a general neurologist from a university center of a visit to the Mayo clinic. I'm finding even the general neurologists have personal interests that focus on certain sub-specialties. I'm hoping to hear which might be the most appropriate general neurologist to see that can put this all together or sort it out.

Here are the choices of general neurologists I've narrowed it down to:

Migraine specialist with a focus on vascular disease
Neurophysiologist with focus on movement disorders
Sleep specialist with special interest of sleep disorders in people with ms

and then there is the university center that has neuro-opth, neuro-acoustic, and neuro-urologists. I've got problems in all of these areas, so thought this might be the place to go. The downside is, this place specializes in MS, demyelinating disease and neuroimmunology.

Any advice, comments or questions are welcome.
Tags: diagnosis
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I am not sure what your symptoms are or what your question is. But if an expert in neuro-immunology suggested you follow up with a headache specialist, it may be worthwhile to get their opinion as well.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.