Neurology Expert Forum
Nervous Twitches......

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Nervous Twitches......

Dir Sir Madam....

I am a 19 year old student from London. For almost as long as i can remember, I have had periods in my life when i have been affected by some form of twitch. Most commonly  I tend to rapidly shake my head from side to side a couple of times. The first time that I can rember doing this was during a time when I had long hair which got into my eyes, and in trying to get it out of my eyes i would shake my head to get rid of it.

I have lived with this all my life, and although it does come and go, often lasting for a period of many months, I still have no real explanation as to why it happens. I would be extremely gratefull if you could offer some advice as to why twitches occur, I often feel that my twitches coincide with periods when I get excited (for example i tend to twitch alot when i play football) could the twitches be linked to the amount of adrenaline running through my bloodstream?

Though I have learned tyo deal withy this to an extent, people do notice it and it does make me feel uncomfortable....is there any advice that you could offer me to help me stop twitching?

Thank you for your time...

Anon
Dear Billy:

I am sorry to hear about your muscle twitching.  What your describing sounds like a motor tic (repetitive movement that is involuntary).  Although without alittle more detail I can't rule out a nervous habit.  However, since you indicate that it increases with anxiousness, and likely when you are more fatigued then it would fit with a motor tic.  If it is a motor tic then although you can suppress it for a short time, it will soon happen without your controlling the event.  You don't have any vocal mannerisms do you- such as clearing the throat, cough, etc?  There are a variety of medications that can help.  There is a waxing and waning of tics over time and it can be difficult to tell if a particular medication is working.  So, one needs to be patient.  See your neurologist and he/she should be able to lead you in the correct direction.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
1 Comment
A related discussion, nervous twithing was started.
A related discussion, twitching was started.