Neurology Expert Forum
Numbness/Tingling in Arms While Sleeping

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

For the past 3-1/2 months I have experienced numbness and tingling in my arms (and occasionally my feet as well), for the most part at night when sleeping.  The first occurence happened when I fell asleep on the couch in a odd position with my weight on my left arm.  When I awoke it was "asleep".  This would normally go away in a few minutes....but it stayed all night.  By the next morning, both arms felt numb, heavy and tingling when I awoke.  I also get a pain where the back of the neck meets the right shoulder.  This has continued on/off for 3-1/2 months.  Blood tests show it is not diabetes or hypothyroid.  Neurologist thought I somehow "bruised" or injured the nerve near EACH of my elbows, but I'm not convinced I this is correct since all the symptoms had onset one night.  Can you offer any suggestions on where to turn next?  This tingling and numbness is ruining my nights and worries me quite a bit.  Thank you for your help in advance!
Dear Duane,
The symptoms that you describe could actually result from nerve compression...even after one night and both side could be affected.  The neck pain that you describe could also be from a compression of the nerves/roots higher up. An EMG/NCS study would be beneficial in differentiating between the two if symptoms persists. Plain x-rays of the neck would also be helpful. Discuss these options with your doctor. If you are interested in getting an evaluation at CCF, call 1-800-CCF-CARE. Good Luck.

A related discussion, Numbness while sleeping - related to weight? was started.