Neurology Expert Forum
Numbness after Cervical Fusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness after Cervical Fusion

First, I would like to say thank you for such a wonderful service you provide here.  It was very educational for me before I had my surgery in June of this year.  The information I found helped me understand what the doctor was going to do.
I am now 13 weeks post surgery.  I had a bi-level fusion of C5-6, C6-7.  Everything seemed textbook up until about 4 1/2 weeks ago.  I am having very frequent numbness in my arms, especially when lying down.   It does not seem to matter what position I am in.  One, the other, or both arms will go numb within about 25 minutes. There have been times during the day also, but not consistent or as severe.  Needless to say, this wakes me up every half hour or so during the night which is becoming unbearable.  By morning, my arms are very "achy" from the constant numbness.  I have reported this to my neuro-surgeon and just recently had an EMG done.  The EMG showed the following:  "a L C5-7 1 radiculopathy" & "an ulnar neuropathy on either side".  The physician conducting the EMG did not make it sound like these would cause the problem I am experiencing.  I was hoping you might have some insight or suggestions as to why this might be happening.  Is this the normal course of healing?  Your  help would be most appreciated.
I would recommend that you see a neurologist for a formal consultation. They will be able to examine you and review your history. This will give them a better idea if these symptoms are related to your spine or the nerves in the arms. If this is related to the spine, then either a MRI or a CT myelogram would be reasonable to assess for new changes. Withour having the opportunity to see you, I can not be more specific. Good luck