Neurology Expert Forum
PN and ataxia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

PN and ataxia

Posted By rmoore on October 08, 1998 at 17:32:37:

I was diagnosed with PN approx. l year ago. The only med I am on is 75 mg. elavil for the PN.  I am a 49 year old female with a history of mild lupus (have been in remission for 2 years.)  Six months after the PN diagnosis  my neurologist said that I was ataxic because I was walking like I was drunk, and couldn't walk a straight line. I need to ask questions because my neuro. appt. is not until next month.  I was walking with a cane but my primary care doctor suggest that I get a walker because he was afraid for my safety. My  questions are:  What happens physically to make ataxia a symtom of neuropathy?
If I am ataxic about 75% of times, is it medicallY  necessary to get a walker (I hate this idea - female vanity!) Are there any alternatives?  I am also experiencing increased  weakness in both of my legs where I cannot move them sometimes when I want to walk.   Is ataxia from PN progressive?  Is the  the ataxia and the weakness reversible or irreversible?  Is it possible that I might one day end up
in a wheelchair.  If so, at what stage should I consider getting a wheel chair?  Thank you so much for being here for people like myself who are confused about what is going on with them!