Neurology Expert Forum
Pain, nausea, shaking

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain, nausea, shaking

I am having pain over my left eye shooting from front to back, and am experiencing nausea, and shaking. What is wrong?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are several possibilities to explain those symptoms. I will go through some of the more common ones:

- Migraines. Migraines can cause throbbing unilateral pain which can sometimes rest around the eye area. Nausea is common with migraines, also bright light and loud sound can be bothersome. I don’t have details on the kind of shaking you are having but it generalized shaking can happen if you are feeling weak or in a lot of pain

- Cluster headache. This is a less common headache but this can cause severe pain, can happen around the eye and is also associated with nausea. Other features which can be seen in eyelid droopiness, reddened eye, tearing from the eye which all happen on the side of the headache

- Glaucoma. One type of glaucoma can cause eye pain which can radiate to the head, cause a red eye, decreased vision. The pain can cause the nausea.

You may benefit from seeing a neurologist or eye doctor if this is happening frequently

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.