Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Alcohol

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Alcohol

Posted By Melinda on April 16, 1999 at 12:46:41
: :
: Topic Area: Pain
: : First let me say I am a social drinker, an occasional glass of wine. For the past several months,  within 5 minuites of taking a few sips of wine, I get severe pain throughout my shoulder, down my arms. Does this sound normal?  I also suffer from severe muscle cramps in the back of my neck into the base of my skull, everytime I lay down, more like a charlie horse.
Lynn

: Dear Lynn:
Do alittle experiment for me.  Try a sip of another type of wine than you usually drink, let say a red if you drink a white (different label).  See if you get the same effect.  If you do, then try a beer lets say and see if the same thing happens.
: If it doesn't occur with the different label wine or with beer than you having a mild reaction to something is the wine you usually drink.  That is my best guess.  I had the same effect when I was younger and drank the stuff that you unscrewed the top (I was poor and just needed alittle alcohol to wind down).  I hope this is the problem, let me know about our little experiment.  And no you can't deduct the cost of the wine and beer as a medical expense (only kidding).
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD
I will give that a try and let you know. So nice to hear someone with a sense of humor.
Thanks, Lynn

Dear Lynn:
Before I forget, only as much as you usually drink for this experiment.  I would hate to ruin the experiment with you drinking a bottle of red wine worth a few hundred bucks and then not being able to remember how you felt.
CCF Neuro[P] MD

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on April 16, 1999 at 22:23:24
Dear Lynn:
See your posting.
CCF Neuro MD

Posted By Lynn on April 24, 1999 at 21:09:58

Well, I tried a new drink tonight. My Husband and I went for a nice dinner, I thought I would have a Vodka Tonic. And it did the same thing. Could I have an allergy to Alcohol in general?  I am at a total loss.

Follow Ups:

Re: Alcohol CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 4/25/1999
(0)