Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Astrocytoma Grade IV

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Astrocytoma Grade IV

Posted By CCF MD on November 12, 1997 at 11:34:08:

In Reply to: Astrocytoma Grade IV posted by Jennifer Tscherney on November 06, 1997 at 15:46:14:

: My father was diagnosed with an Astrocytoma Grade IV brain tumor in the left side of his brain in June of 1992. He was 55, strong and otherwise healthy at the time of diagnosis.  Surgery was performed for removal. Within 24 hours post-op he started to bleed and the surgeon had to enter to repair the bleeding.  He has not had chemotherapy or radiation.  To this day, he remains paralyzed on his right side (he can walk with a cane and some support) and he is unable to verbalize any words, except for one swear word, although he understands what people say to him.  From my studies, I understand that malignant tumors of this grade usually return.  It has been five years and there is no sign of return. The surgeon stated that he removed the entire tumor (he thought) and that it was his inclination that my father had a stroke after the initial surgery and the stroke caused his paralysis and speech condition.  Does this sound logical for patients with this type of tumor?  Do you have any statistics or information on patient survival? Thank you, in advance, for your response.

Thanks for your question Jennifer. First let me tell you that their are a number of grading classification
used for astocytic tumors. Usually grdae 4 tumors are highly malignant and many systems will use the term
glioblastoma multiforme. Life expectancy after 2 years would represent less than 5% of the population. When we see
patients 5 years out from grade 4 tumors with no evidence of return then we question the initial diagnosis. We do have some long
term survival patients but it makes me question if the initial pathology was lower grade or not. A second opinion regarding
the pathologic slides could be made and if you wished to have them sent to use you could contact your physician and have them sent for a
reading at your pathology department. In terms of the other problem, most people are speech dominant in the left hemisphere.
It is possible that he have damage to his speech areas from the tumor, the surgery or the post op bleed. He may hav eeven had a post op stroke.
The type of aphasia (language problem) that he has is called an expressive aphasia. After 5 years it is unlikely to improve much at this point.
If you would like a second opinion regarding your father you can call to schedule an appointment and we would be pleased to see him and render an opinion.
You can call 216 444 5559.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only. Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options of your
specific medical condition.