Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Can nerve damage be permanent?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Can nerve damage be permanent?

Posted By Kathy on May 03, 1999 at 10:40:36
I was hurt at work, lifting a sofa.  I had pains in both sides of my lower back as if two ice picks were stabbed into it. I was transferred to a different store to work and drove 100 miles per day for four months until I finally had to have surgery.  I had a fusion at L-5 S-1.  The day after surgery I awoke to an excrutiating pain, the worse leg cramp anyone could ever imagine in their worse nighmares, in my right leg.  I was given an epidural block.  It has been two years since my  surgery and I still suffer.  I have a shooting pain that unexpectedly stabs in my right buttock, this feels as if someone is using an oversized needle, injecting fire into my buttock.  It extends down about halfway down my thigh, skips around the knee and then hits in my lower leg.  The only way I can describe it is the pain is between my muscle and my bone in the shin area. I am considerably overweight and have been all my life, but never have had a bit of back pain until my injury. I did my rehab  exercises for aproximately a year. I have had an MRI done and been told that it is normal other than changes from surgery, (pins).  One doctor said it was in my mind, the other said it was because I was fat.  Noone has said anything about sciatic nerve damage, not one word, but reading these forum posts, I have seen many of my symptoms listed as sciatic nerve disorder.  Could my nerve have been permanently injured? Also when the doctor checks my reflexes I have no reflexes in my right hamstring. My leg falls to sleep quite often, I haven't mentioned this to my doctor because I thought it was just the way I sit. Thank you

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on May 06, 1999 at 16:29:25
Dear Kathy:
Sorry to hear about your problems.  It is so difficult to give advice over the internet when you haven't had the opportunity to view the MRI and especially do the neurological exam.  The problem that your experiencing is likely due tot
the initial insult and subsequent surgery.  Assuming that the MRI was perfermed with and without contrast, there is likely no inflammation to ascribe the pain to.  After the length of time since the surgery, recovery should have occured so what you are experiencing may be the deficit you may have.  But, what I would do is gather you films and all the tests done so far and seek a second opinion.  This will give someone new a chance to see everything together and make a judgement without other influences.
It is difficult to tell you about your leg falling asleep.  I would just see how and when it occurs, what you have been doing before, and see if there is a common series of events.  This may show you the cause, an example would be crossing you legs for a period of time, or walking in particular pair of pants, etc.
I hope that things get better.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD

Follow Ups:

Can nerve damage be permanent? Kathy 5/11/1999
(9)

Re: Can nerve damage be permanent? CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/12/1999
(8)

Can nerve damage be permanent? Robin 6/05/1999
(0)

Can nerve damage be permanent? Dee 5/20/1999
(0)

Can nerve damage be permanent? Bruce T. Petro 5/19/1999
(4)

Re: Can nerve damage be permanent? hab/for petro.. 5/23/1999
(3)

Can nerve damage be permanent? Kandice 6/29/1999
(0)

Can nerve damage be permanent? Bruce 5/27/1999
(1)

Re: Can nerve damage be permanent? hab   5/27/1999
(0)

Can nerve damage be permanent? Kathy 5/12/1999
(0)