Neurology Expert Forum
Re: How safe is this drug?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: How safe is this drug?

Posted By KimM on April 23, 1999 at 09:43:43
A quick question for a doctor.  How safe is the drug Elavil?  I was on 30mgs. per day to treat possible Fibromyalgia, but I don't think it makes much of a difference.  I am coming off of it slowly over the next week or two and will see how I feel.
I don't like the idea of taking any drugs besides Advil!  If I find that I start feeling worse after I come off the Elavil, I'll start it up again.
But how safe is it?  What can you compare it to?  I have not yet had children and don't want to take any risks.
Thanks for your help.

Posted By CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPs on April 23, 1999 at 09:54:58
Dear Kim:
I don't know how appropriate this is since you are stopping the medication.  There are very few side effects of elavil.  Usually the most compliants come from patients indicating that they get drowsy, increased appetite, constipation, dry mouth, dizziness and headache. However, this occurs in the minority of patients, especially at the low concentrations that you are taking.  Altough occuring at a lower frequency, sometimes an arrhythmia can occur.  You should also avoid alcohol.  We have used this medication for many years and for the most part it is very safe.  but like all medications, if possible if you are considering getting pregnant we would recommend you stop.  I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS

Posted By KimM on April 23, 1999 at 10:12:49
Thanks for that really quick response!
The reason I'm coming off the Elavil is that my doc and I don't feel it's doing much.  I honestly can't tell if it's making a difference because every day is different as far as discomfort and I get plenty of sleep, avg. 7-8 hours per night.  And I'm a bit groggy during the day at only 30mgs.  But as I said, if I feel worse, I'll start it up again.  I don't seems to have any other side effects.
I don't plan on having children for a least another couple of years, but was just concerned about the effects of taking something like Elavil long-term.
Is there something else besides Elavil that is prescribed for Fibro that's effective?  Thanks again!

Follow Ups:

Re: How safe is this drug? CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 4/23/1999
(14)

How safe is this drug? KimM 4/23/1999
(1)

(0)

How safe is this drug? Elizabeth former Elavil patient! 4/23/1999
(11)

(0)

Re: How safe is this drug? KimM  4/23/1999
(9)

How safe is this drug? CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 4/23/1999
(8)

Re: How safe is this drug? Elizabeth 5/04/1999
(7)

How safe is this drug? CCF Neuro[P]MD,RPS 5/05/1999
(6)

Re: How safe is this drug? Chris 5/12/1999
(5)

How safe is this drug? CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/12/1999
(4)

Re: How safe is this drug? Chris 5/25/1999
(3)

How safe is this drug? CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/28/1999
(2)

Re: How safe is this drug? Chris 5/28/1999
(1)

How safe is this drug? CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/29/1999
(0)