Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Numb Toes

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Numb Toes

Posted By CCF neuroMD/MRR on March 12, 1998 at 08:07:18:

In Reply to: Numb Toes posted by Susan on March 10, 1998 at 22:17:24:

: I was just interested in knowing what, if any, neurological disorder would cause the second and third toes on both my feet to go numb.  The numbness comes and goes and doesn't seem to be related to body position as it happen when I am sitting, standing, walking or lying down.  Thanks.

________

________

Hi Susan, Well the list is long for things that can make your toes numb.
The problem can be compressive on a nerve meaning your shoes, a small cyst or small benign growth pressing on the small nerve
that feeds those toes.  It can be the beginning of a peripheral nerve problem meaning the
nerve endings slowly become involved and eventually involve more nerves.  
It could be vasculitc or effecting the arteries and veins secondary to many causes.  It could be
spinal cord involovment.  The way to sort out which one it is is to see your general doc or a Neurologist
for a complete neurological exam and see if there are  any  other signs or abnormalities on your exam that would help to pin point the problem.  Screeing blood work
may be helpful depending on what your exam shows.  Other tests help as well but it all rests on what your exam shows and your neurological history.  I wish I could be more precise for you but there
is no way to localize the problem over the computer.  Good Luck!
A related discussion, Tingly toes/numb feet was started.