Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Stroke

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Stroke

Posted By Linda on February 13, 1998 at 18:03:06:

In Reply to: Re: Stroke posted by CCF Neuro MD on February 06, 1998 at 16:35:39:

: : I'm 29 and had a stroke 3 weeks ago.  Compared to what I know could have happened, the damage I have is very minimal.  Some speech issues, left side weakness & some loss of use in left arm/hand, right side sensory issues, and some personality changes.
While in the hospital I did not get all or any of my questions answered and my neurologist won't even return my phone calls since the hospital.  I have an apt. with another Neurologist later this month but, I was hoping you could clarify a couple things for me.
They have determined that the stroke was caused by a birth defect type issue.  My right Vertebral artery (or whaever it's called)is really thin/skinny and my whole life the left one has compensated for it and a dissection occred.
What is a dissection (in words I'll understand!)?
For two weeks prior to my stroke I had a headache always centralized in the base of the back of my head on the left side.  I went to the doctor and they treted it as a sinus infection.  After 1 week of antibiotic/decongestant I went to the doctor again because there was no relief from the headache and the day I went in it was particlarily bad.  The doctor switched the antibiotic and put me on an anthistimine and a nasal spray.  Less than 18 hours from starting the new medication I had my stroke.  It was the wierdest thing.
I strongly believe the headache was affiliated with the stroke, but the 2 doctors I saw in the hospital kept saying there was no way for anyone to know because I am so young.  Is there a possibility the headache was affiliated with it?
What are the chances of this thing doing this again?
How long does it take for the dissection to heal or go down or whatever it has to do!?
The doctors were guessing full recovery within 60 days.  I hope they're right, that'd be incredible.  But, as my body heals,etc. should I be doing some therapy to help my left side?  
Any input would be greatly appreciated by myself & my husband!!
Thank you!
Lisa

A dissection is a tear in the wall of an artery, when it occurs blood
ruptures through the inner lining of the artery but instead of bursting out
completely it is contained by the outer layer and tracks along between the la
yers, this obviously causes some compression of the opening within the artery
and may block off the artery completely or cause reduced flow and clot formation where the lining is disrupted.
It sounds very likely that your headache was related, especially given the
subsequent developments, but there is no way to go back and prove absolutely that
this is waht happened. It certainly sounds plausible to me though.
if your symptoms have settled the process of dissection has stopped and you should have
no further problems, the clot should be reabsorbed from the vessel wall within a few weeks,
depending on its origional size.
If there is a danger of this happening again especially if there is a possibility of clots
forming you might need to be on a blood thinner for up to six months.
You should discuss this at your new appointment.
If you have significant weakness physical therapy is always a good idea, you should ask for this to
be prescribed at your next visit as it will maximise your recovery.
I had what my neurologist called a "Wallenberg" stroke 3 years ago.  
The way he described it sounds exactly like Lisa's case.  I was 42.  He
also told me it might have been a birth defect... smaller than normal
artery, etc.  He also called it a "brain stem" stroke.  I had the
headache, stiff neck and sinus infection.  I didn't know I had the sinus
infection, though, until I had the MRI.  I'm completely recovered except
for a little neuropathy in left leg and some trouble swalling.  I went
back to work full time 3 weeks after the stroke.  I took coumadin for 2
years, but have been off that and just taking two safety coated aspirin
per day now.  What exactly is a Wallenberg stroke and does Lisa's stroke
sound like the same thing?