Neurology Expert Forum
Re: Tingling, Weakness In Hand

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Re: Tingling, Weakness In Hand

Posted By CCF Neurology MD - AY on December 20, 1998 at 09:12:14:

In Reply to: Tingling, Weakness In Hand posted by Greg on December 20, 1998 at 01:22:45:

Hello,  I have a quick question.  I have had tingling and weakness in my left hand for awhile now.  My doctor believes it is Ulnar Nerve Entrapment at the elbow, and I have an EMG nerve test scheduled for this week.  I had an appointment with a physical therapist recently and she gave me some basic exercises and stretches to do daily. My Doctor also recommended an anti-inflammatory medication such as Motrin.  I have been doing the exercises and taking Motrin for the past five days and the tingling has subsided a great deal. My hand also feels a great deal more flexible and healthy.  My question is could these therapy exercises start working this quickly (only five days!), or am I simply feeling the effects of the Motrin covering up symptoms which are likely to return once I stop taking the medication?  Thanks!  Greg M.

Thanks for your question.  The ulnar nerve "wraps around" the outside of the elbow, so it is quite exposed to local traumas.  At the same time, it also traverses through a "tunnel" formed by adjacent fibrous tissues/bands which predisposes it to local compression/entrapment.  Given the relatively rapid improvement of your symptoms, it is most likely that there was a local inflammatory process in your elbow region causing local edema/swelling which responded to the NSAID (Motrim).  Appropriate positioning of the elbow (e.g. at desk work) can also significantly contribute to diminish the chances to repetitive injuries to the region.
I hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck.
Information provided in this Neurology Forum is intended for general
medical informational purposes only. Diagnosis and treatment for your
particular illness should be strictly in conjunction with your treating
physician(s).