Neurology Expert Forum
Re: hypotonia with no aparent cause
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: hypotonia with no aparent cause

Posted By pam  jacob on August 13, 1998 at 12:38:08:

In Reply to: Re: hypotonia with no aparent cause posted by Marie on August 13, 1998 at 08:13:39:

Hello,
I have a 5 year old that has weak muscles (low tone) he is also developmentaly delayed in scattered areas.  It is the same with his physical abilities.  He walked at two and started scooting only months before, speach came with that (aside from a few single words).  We have had 2 MRI's (one at 3 months another at 2 years) and have been told they are nonrevealing. He had an EMG at three months and it was normal. He has had blood tests for I don't know what all and we still don't know whats wrong.  He has been "clinically" diagnosed with atypical CP . What is that? I can't find anything on it. No one hear in Albuq. can figure him out, our resources here are VERY limited.  If this was a form of CP wouldn't damage show on the MRI? Wouldn't ther have been a cause? Is there another test available, anywhere, to check the lining of the brain? What should I do next, I feel so frustrated not knowing the cause, or the long term affect because we don't know what it is that causes this in him.  I had a normal pregnancy and delivery and he was not sick. He was floppy from day one.  
Any direction, input answers would be apreciated.
Thank you so much, I did post in another section I'm not sure what all is conected here I hope I'm not being repetitive.
One thing you did not mention: has your child been evaluated by a geneticist?  There are a number of genetic disorders that can lead to hypotonia, some of them would also include some degree of developmental delays.  At least that might rule things out, and give you some of the answers you seek.