Neurology Expert Forum
Re: severe muscle ache and pain in arms, shoulders, neck and hands
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank

Re: severe muscle ache and pain in arms, shoulders, neck and hands

Posted By Charleen on June 15, 1999 at 09:37:28
Hi there,
I have posted a few times on here about my L4/L5 surgeries and continued nerve pain in my legs, back and feet.  I am also an insulin dependent diabetic which one doctor on this forum wondered was not a culprit for my increased nerve pain in my legs.  It has been decided that I have perineural fibrosis of my L5 nerve root, chronic pain syndrome and mild peripheral neuropathy secondary to my diabeties.  These diagnosis' were determined thru a MRI, cat scan, emg, flexion/extension xrays and physical examiniations.  I have seen a neurologist, a neurosurgeon, ortho spinal surgeon,and a pain anesthiologist (sp?.) Plus I am awaiting my July 23rd appt. at the dartmouth hitchcock pain clinic.  I am on neurontin (2400 mg), flexeril, elavil and most recently was placed on 15-30 mg mscontin at bedtime.
Now about my upper body pain....In the last 3 months I have noticed slowly increasing hand, arm especially forearm, shoulder and neck pain.  My left hand is in desperate need of a carpal tunnel release(I had the right one done 6 years ago), I am wearing a splint in the evenings and all night, I have pain in my forearms that make it almost impossible for someone to touch me there as it feels like a hot poker, my doctors feel that the muscles in my forearms are swollen and quite inflammed.  I have trouble suppinating especially with the right, in fact it is almost impossible, my upper arms are always sore and they fatigue easily with any use including excruiating pain and fatigue when trying to raise them over my head.  My shoulders and neck are inflammed and hurt constantly.  Many years ago I was told that I had fibromyalgia and thoracic outlet syndrome, however I only have two trigger points for fibro which are located at my scalpulas.  My doctors are not in agreement with those two diagnosis' at this time.  They feel that I may have an inflammatory process going on such as polymyositis, or some form of RA gradually creeping in or possible cushings disease.  I have the small limbs, buttocks and hips associated with cushings and the large trunk.  I was tested for cushings years ago when my fibro diagnosis was given and it turned out negative.  I should also add that I have chronic laryngitis or a strained voice 5 out of 7 days a week and great generalized fatigue.  Cervical problems are also being ruled out. Sometimes in the mornings I feel like my limbs weigh about 1000 pounds each and I cannot move them off the bed.  I am always tired.
I am having an EMG of my upper extremities this friday plus a cbc and a sed rate done at that time as well.  My lower extremity nerve and muscle pain are also being questioned to go hand in hand with my upper extremity symptoms and the doctors are wondering if my continued chronic LE pain is not associated with what may be going on elsewhere in my body as well.  I also have a low grade temp at times ...99-100.2.  I hope this letter is not too fragmented, I am having a hard time concentrating these days due to pain, and never being fully comfortable.
Thank you in advance....charleen