Neurology Expert Forum
Re: severe muscle ache and pain in arms, shoulders, neck and hands

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Posted By Charleen on June 15, 1999 at 09:37:28
Hi there,
I have posted a few times on here about my L4/L5 surgeries and continued nerve pain in my legs, back and feet.  I am also an insulin dependent diabetic which one doctor on this forum wondered was not a culprit for my increased nerve pain in my legs.  It has been decided that I have perineural fibrosis of my L5 nerve root, chronic pain syndrome and mild peripheral neuropathy secondary to my diabeties.  These diagnosis' were determined thru a MRI, cat scan, emg, flexion/extension xrays and physical examiniations.  I have seen a neurologist, a neurosurgeon, ortho spinal surgeon,and a pain anesthiologist (sp?.) Plus I am awaiting my July 23rd appt. at the dartmouth hitchcock pain clinic.  I am on neurontin (2400 mg), flexeril, elavil and most recently was placed on 15-30 mg mscontin at bedtime.
Now about my upper body pain....In the last 3 months I have noticed slowly increasing hand, arm especially forearm, shoulder and neck pain.  My left hand is in desperate need of a carpal tunnel release(I had the right one done 6 years ago), I am wearing a splint in the evenings and all night, I have pain in my forearms that make it almost impossible for someone to touch me there as it feels like a hot poker, my doctors feel that the muscles in my forearms are swollen and quite inflammed.  I have trouble suppinating especially with the right, in fact it is almost impossible, my upper arms are always sore and they fatigue easily with any use including excruiating pain and fatigue when trying to raise them over my head.  My shoulders and neck are inflammed and hurt constantly.  Many years ago I was told that I had fibromyalgia and thoracic outlet syndrome, however I only have two trigger points for fibro which are located at my scalpulas.  My doctors are not in agreement with those two diagnosis' at this time.  They feel that I may have an inflammatory process going on such as polymyositis, or some form of RA gradually creeping in or possible cushings disease.  I have the small limbs, buttocks and hips associated with cushings and the large trunk.  I was tested for cushings years ago when my fibro diagnosis was given and it turned out negative.  I should also add that I have chronic laryngitis or a strained voice 5 out of 7 days a week and great generalized fatigue.  Cervical problems are also being ruled out. Sometimes in the mornings I feel like my limbs weigh about 1000 pounds each and I cannot move them off the bed.  I am always tired.
I am having an EMG of my upper extremities this friday plus a cbc and a sed rate done at that time as well.  My lower extremity nerve and muscle pain are also being questioned to go hand in hand with my upper extremity symptoms and the doctors are wondering if my continued chronic LE pain is not associated with what may be going on elsewhere in my body as well.  I also have a low grade temp at times ...99-100.2.  I hope this letter is not too fragmented, I am having a hard time concentrating these days due to pain, and never being fully comfortable.
Thank you in advance....charleen

Posted By forgot to add on June 15, 1999 at 09:43:21
I have trouble swallowing at times and it feels as though the food is stuck in the back of my throat.  This gives me the feeling of choking at times and unless I take something to drink quickly that I will choke.  I also cough alot.  I thought this was due to allergies however my PCP and neurologist think it might all be related to whatever inflammatory process is going on.  Sometimes my speech is garbled or I feel like my mouth cannot make my vocal cords make the right sounds to produce the correct word.  I have had this problem off and on for years.  I was told be a diabetic educator that might be due to my diabetes if I was running a high bs or an extremely low bs, however I have checked my blood sugars during those times and it was usually within the normal limits of 110-180 depending on whether I had just eaten or if it was less than two hourss since I had eaten.  Charleen

Follow Ups:

severe muscle ache and pain in arms, shoulders, neck and hands CCF MD mdf 6/21/1999
(0)