Neurology Expert Forum
SEVERE hand cramps and high blood pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I get SEVERE hand cramping in both hands, almost like they are cemented together, and it hurts.  At the same time my blood pressure elevates rapidly (164/112).  A lot of times it occurs about 1 week before my menstrual cycle.  When I drive, I must drive with the palms of my hands, can't open my fingers.  My doctor has done many blood tests.  My potassium is low, I take meds for it.  I've already had to have potassium IV.  I was in the ER again yesterday and the doctor didn't seem to be alarmed about my BP and thought I was joking about my hands.  It can be a rapid onset--1-2 hours and it can be a slow, gradual onset over several hours.  Can anyone help.  I'm getting desperate and am tired of dealing with this.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The symptoms you describe may be part of a disorder called dystonia. Dystonia is typically defined as a disorder of sustained muscle contraction which may or may not cause twisting or abnormal posturing of the affected region. (Writer’s cramp, for example, is a form of dystonia). The causes of dystonia can be genetic, metabolic (such as from copper), nerve root damage, etc. It is important to realize that dystonia may be related to stress/anxiety.

I recommend that you be seen by a neurologist. A more complete history and physical examination is necessary. You will also need routine blood work to ensure that you do not have a metabolic cause of the muscle contractions.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.