Neurology Expert Forum
Tense tongue some twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tense tongue some twitching

So about 2 years ago I was playing basketball and someone hit me in the Jaw well for the next couple of weeks I was of course way sore and had a slight lisp. Anyway soon after it left. well these last couple weeks. my tongue has felt very tense, its like its constantly flexing, and it twitches on its own so it makes it a lot harder to speak clearly I struggle to speak normal. anyway I dont know what it is. It sometimes helps if I stick my tongue way out and stretch it. I can than talk a little clearer for a couple seconds. anyway I dont know if its because of my jaw or something else.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Abnormal movements of the tongue in isolation are rare but can occur due to a few causes. Dyskinesias are a general term for abnormal movements of a specific type, and tongue dyskinesias can be due to exposure to certain medications (such as antipsychotics), and due to certain genetic or metabolic disorders. Some people can have tremor involving the tongue, but other areas of the body are also involved. Tics can involve the tongue as well.

Some tongue symptoms can occur due to ENT disorders (local mouth or tongue disorders). t is unusual that your symptoms developed followin trauma, and this is more difficult to explain. You may benefit from evaluation by your primary doctor (internist/family physician) with referral to an ENT specialist or neurologist as he/she feels indicated.

Thank you for using the forum I hope you find this information useful good luck.