Neurology Expert Forum
Ventricular Cysts

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Ventricular Cysts

: : My neurologist recently had an MRI scan performed on my brain as part of his investigation into several neurological problems I have including right sided numbness and l'hermittes sign.  The MRI report noted small (<1mm) cysts lining the ventricles in my brain.  My neurologist says this is wierd (among other things) and he is consulting with a neurosurgeon and an infectious disease specialist before he proceeds with any other testing.  He does feel that a spinal tap is down the road.  
  : : Do you have any idea what the cause of the cysts could be?  I have had a schwannoma removed from my T12 spinal nerve.  I as felt at the time that this was an isolated tumor.  I have also been previously tested for connective tissue diseases with negative results.  Thanks for your help.
  : _________________
  : _________________
  : Dear Susan,
  : The cysts seen on your MRI were likely an incidental finding, given the symptoms you describe.  Problems from a cysts in the ventricular system would likely be related to hydrocephalus, namely intermittent headaches, nausea and/or vomiting and lethargy.  The particular cyst you have depends on its particular characteristics on MRI.  Yours is likely a benign cyst, though a surgeon should look at the MRI for evidence of any more serious issues that need to be addressed.  The schwannoma you previously had removed in your back was likely a separate entity and not related.
  : The key for you is to be sure that this is a benign entity and that you are not having symptoms from intermittent hydrocephalus.  Speak to the neurosurgeon in this regard for his opinion.
  : Good luck.

To the Dr.  
  I just wanted to be sure that you understood that there were many cysts, not just one.  They line the walls of my brain ventricles.  I have read about particular cysts, i.e. singular cysts which can block the flow of CSF, however, the number of cysts is what is disconcerting to me.  I am following up with a neurosurgeon and will make further moves based on his assessment.  I just wondered whether you had seen anything like this before.  Thanks.
______________
______________
Dear Susan,
No, I have not seen multiple intraventriclar cysts such as you describe.  A
concern regarding hydrocephalus or the potential for hydrocephalus still remains,
though.  We'd be interested to see what comes of your situation.
Good luck.