Neurology Expert Forum
What is myelomalacia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What is myelomalacia?
I have a 23 year old female friend who was diagnosed with cavernous angioma at the level of T9-T11.She recently had am MRI and the result was Hemosiderin deposit T9-T11,myelomalacia.I'd like to ask:

1.What is myelomalacia?What are its causes?Is it good or bad to have it?
2.Is it normal to have hemosiderin deposit in the said level?What is hemosiderin?
I hope you can help me out.
A cavernous angioma is a collection of abnormal blood vessels. These abnormal blood vessels have a tendency to leak over time. When the blood leaks it can cause damage to the surrounding structures. Myelomalacia is a term to describe an area of the spinal cord which has been injured and there has been loss of tissue. Any process which injures the spinal cord could cause myelomalacia. Hemosiderin is a term to describe the remnants of blood which have been broken down. It is not normal to have hemosiderin, and this is most likely related to the angioma. I hope this helps. Good luck.
A related discussion, myelomalacia was started.
A related discussion, About Meningioma of spine was started.