Neurology Expert Forum
ankle mottling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

ankle mottling

about 5 days ago I noticed a dark spot on a swelling on my left ankle. it now has a mottled look going up my ankle and lower leg.  It is not itcy but seems to be warm as compared to the rest of my leg. I am walking fine on it and have no pain unless I touch the swelling.  What could this be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what your symptoms are from. However, I will try to provide you with some possibilities

Your symptoms do not sound neurologic in origin. When one reads of your symptoms, one thing that comes to mind is a clot in the veins of the leg. If there is associated swelling in your leg, this could be in the deep veins of the leg and would be called a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). This most often occurs in people after prolonged bed rest or immobility such as after surgeries, prolonged car or air travel, etc. However, it can occur in some people with a triggering situation. The concern with DVTs is that the clot could break away from the veins and travel to the lungs, causing a pulmonary embolus. DVT is best diagnosed with an ultrasound and treated with blood thinners. Other possible causes to your symptoms include infection, such as a superficial infection of your skin called cellulitis. Arterial ischemia (lack of blood flow to the leg due to blockage of the arteries) is a less likely cause. Other less serious causes include venous insufficiency. I recommend that you been seen by a general practioner/family physician as soon as possible to further assess your symptoms.

Thank you for using the forum I hope you find this information useful good luck.