Neurology Expert Forum
concerned

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

concerned

My 14 yr old daughter has been having health problems since March the doctors finally found out that she is not digesting her food good it takes her about 7 hrs to digest food.  In April doctor said she had acid reflux disease. Her symptoms are after she eats she vomitts or gags alot and pain behind right rib cage and this month her ob/gyn found a spot on overy having surgery tomorow to find out what it is and in August she started having real bad headaches that hurt just on the right side forhead and a few weeks ago on Friday she passed out 12 times the longest out was 5 mins and the next day Saturday passed out 17 times longest time out was 6 mins and the only thing she does while out is her eyes roll in the back of her head and when she comes to her right side of her head is hurting her real bad. She has had a catscan and EEG both came back normal. Her family doctor dont know whats wrong with her but has mentioned to me she might be baliamic. I dont think she is cause she is so tired of being sick and im with her everytime she is sick and she is not making herself vomitt in any ways. Just trying to get different opnions.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I am sorry to hear that you and your daughter are going through such a tough time.
I am unsure what exactly the nature of the surgery is but hopefully it will help her.
It appears that she is vomiting a lot because of reflux disease or bulimia or some ob/gyn issue. Regardless of the cause, vomiting can lead to dehydration and this can contribute to the passing out spells because of decreased blood flow to the brain.

Such passing out spells need a workup to rule out some potential causes
- Vasovagal syncope – Syncope means a transient, self-limited loss of consciousness with an inability to maintain postural tone that is followed by spontaneous recovery. In vasovagal syncope, triggers include prolonged standing, sight of blood, pain, and fear. Before losing consciousness, one can develop nausea, sweating and pale skin. Typically return to consciousness occurs after 1 to 2 minutes.

Cardiac arrhythmias – which basically mean irregular heart rythms. Some of them can lead to decreased blood flow to the brain because the heart is unable to pump blood effectively. Arrythmias can be detected by wearing a heart rhythm monitor and then looking at the monitor while one has the unresponsive episode. Vomiting can lead to electrolyte abnormalities and this can predispose to arrythmias

Seizures – Less likely but any spells where a person loses consciousness, it is worthwhile investigating. I know you said EEG was normal. The conclusive way of ruling out a seizure is by actually capturing an episode of unresponsiveness while the EEG is attached and then having a neurologist look at the EEG.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck