Neurology Expert Forum
deja vu followed by nausea

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

deja vu followed by nausea

I am a 27 year old female. Last year in November I started experiencing instense deja vu followed by nausea. the episodes would like for a minute or two and then stop. They went away and then in the past week they have started up again. I'm not stressed, I excerise regularly and I don't do drugs or smoke. I've been doing research online and found that it might be seizures in my brain. Is this possible?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Déjà vu is the sense of already have experienced or seen an event that is happening for the first time. This phenomenon is a common occurrence in many “normal” people especially in states of fatigue or intoxication. However, it is also seen in people with disorders such as seizures, particularly those seizures arising from the part of the brain called the temporal lobe, and also in persons with underlying psychiatric disorders such as anxiety or depression.

I recommend that you follow up with your physician regarding these episodes of déjà vu. If you have other findings such as numbness/tingling traveling through the body, abnormal behaviors such as lipsmacking, or loss of consciousness, you should probably see a neurologist for a seizure workup that may include blood tests to evaluate your chemistry and also an EEG to evaluate the electrical activity of your brain. He/she may then want to obtain an MRI of the brain to rule out structural causes of your symptoms.

However, déjà vu may be related to an underlying psychiatric disorder and a follow up with a psychiatrist would be recommended if deemed appropriate.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

1 Comment
A related discussion, Deja-Vu followed by nausea was started.