Neurology Expert Forum
dropping things

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

dropping things

My wife had brain surgery 2 years ago She came thru ok (major memory loss and sesures) but I still have Her!!!
the last couple of weeks She has been dropping things. The last brain scan says the small piece of tumor that they couldnt get out is still the same as it was after the surjery. ANY IDEAS
  • MS-related? (1 replies):
    Can Multiple Sclerosis cause bulging discs?
  • Seizure (3 replies):
    I am 28 years old and I had a seizure for the first time...[more]
  • DROPSIES (1 replies):
    WHY DOES MY MIND SOMETIMES GO BLANK AND I DROP WHAT EVER...[more]
  • ALS (1 replies):
    My husband was diagnosed with ALS in April 2010. Some pe...[more]
  • slurring words (2 replies):
    Does anyone have ideas why my wife has been slurring her...[more]
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

If the main concern is that your wife is dropping objects that she is carrying in her hands, the causes could include hand weakness (due to for example the residual tumor) or clumsiness, as occurs with disorders of the cerebellum, which can sometimes be a medication side effect (some seizure medications and other medications). If there is an overall clumsiness in walking, generalized weakness, or thinking troubles, then medication side effects or something even as simple as a urinary tract infection can lead to such symptoms in someone with a history of neurologic problems. If there is confusion in thinking, ongoing seizures would need to be excluded as well.

If an identifiable reversible cause is not found, occupational therapy to help your wife carry out day to day activities such as holding objects appropriately is recommended. Continued followup with your wife's neurologist is recommended.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, I am continually dropping things. was started.