Neurology Expert Forum
due to muscle weakness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

due to muscle weakness

what are the possible causes due to muscular pain...???how to resolve these cases???
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Muscle aches and pains (which is under the term myalgia) have many causes. These include systemic causes such as viral or bacterial infection, myopathies (which can be inflammtory – polymyaglia rheumatica or inflammatory myopathy - or genetic), electrolyte abnormalities (such as with calcium or potassium), or even a problem with your thyroid gland. Other causes of muscle pain can be a result of referred pain from an internal organ or from trauma to or overuse of a muscle or even as a result of diabetes.

Other causes of myalgia can be from disorders called fibromyalgia, depression, or chronic fatigue syndrome. Additionally, some medications, such as statins, can cause muscle pains.

These are just a few of the causes of myalgia. I recommend that you follow up with your primary care physician to evaluate. He/she may wish to run some simple blood work including a chemistry and blood count as well as a CK and TSH levels. The diagnosis will determine the treatment course. If the diagnosis cannot be quickly established empiric treatment may include heat, rest, and/or acetaminophen or an NSAID.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.