Neurology Expert Forum
half blind after brain surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

half blind after brain surgery

Hi, when i was 19 i had brain surgery to remove an infection and ever since then iv been half blind in my left eye. I am now 21 and have talked to my Nero doc and she gave me no help. My question is what could of cause this and is there anything i can do to get that vision back.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Where exactly was the surgery at? Is your right eye affected? Vision can be affected if there is interruption in the pathway from the eye to the occipital lobe of the brain. These can result in various conditions. If the optic nerve is affected, you will notice only blindness in one eye. If the optic chiasm is affected, you will notice blindness in both eyes in the peripheral (i.e., temporal) fields. If the optic tract or occipital lobe is interrupted, you will notice blindness in the temporal and nasal fields on one side (for example “left visual field being affected”, this might be what you are describing). This is known as a homonymous hemianopia.

You should follow up with an ophthalmologist to have visual field testing. Typically if the vision hasn’t improved within a year, it is unlikely to improve. However, an ophthalmologist would be the most appropriate person to discuss this.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.