Neurology Expert Forum
multiple spinal fusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

multiple spinal fusion

Over twenty years ago, I had a laminectomy on L5-S1, and about ten years ago a decompression in the same area, with both operations being done in Cleveland.  I'm currently experiencing severe pain in the legs (with also some pain in the lower back)  and had a floppy foot a few months ago, which has since slightly improved.  I currently live and work in Japan and will have to have the next surgery done here.  I think I've found two good surgeons, though one recommends fusing only one more section L5-L4, and the other would like to add L3, to possibly prevent yet another operation in the future.  Unfortunately, the original stainless rods are still in, so an MRI is not possible, so the "picture" is not particularly clear about what to do.  In any case, I have to do decide soon.  I would deeply appreciate it if someone could give a third opinion regarding the additional (one more or two more?) fusions?  Many thanks.
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to give an opinion such as this without an in depth familiarity of your medical history, and close examination of your imaging studies.  I’m sorry that we cannot offer more in this type of setting.  You may try posing this question on the Neurosurgery, or Orthopedics forums, but again, there may be some difficulty of giving you an informed opinion with these limitations.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.