Neurology Expert Forum
neck pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

neck pain

hi hope you can help me suffering neck pain across base of skull with left sided eye pain and arushing fluid sound in left ear been doc said muscle or anxiety due to mra had 2yrs bk no significant abnormalties not that owt to do with wat suffering now think im being labbelled due to past history  know this isnt normal in anyway i can move my neck freely with only prob being somtimes tilting it bk would be greatfull on anyfeedbk u could give thankyou
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor

It sounds like you have pain at the back of your neck with eye pain and a rushing sound in your ear. Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history I can not tell you what your symptoms are due to but I can provide you with some information.

The causes of neck pain could generally be divided into muscular problems and spine problems. Problems in the neck muscles could be related to a sprained muscle, which often results from sudden movements, incorrect postures, etc. Problems in the spine could be related to problems in the bones of the spine which are called vertebra, most commonly arthritis. Other spine problems occur when the tissue between the vertebra slips out, what is called a herniated disc. Problems within the spinal cord itself can also lead to neck pain. The best way to evaluate this is with an MRI of the cervical spine.

Headaches associated with a rushing sound in the ear can be due to a vascular malformation, an abnormal communication between arteries and veins that develops. This usually shows up on MRI of the brain, but sometimes a CT angiogram to look at the blood vessels is necessary when this is suspected.

Cervicogenic headache is a headache that is "referred" to the head from bony structures, muscles, and other soft tissue in the neck and shoulders. Symptoms are usually one-sided and include: precipitation of head pain by neck movement or awkward neck positions, head pain when external pressure is applied to the neck or occipital region, restricted range of motion of the neck, and neck, shoulder and arm pain. Treatment for cervicogenic headache includes physical therapy, medications, behavioral therapy, and other modalities.

Occipital neuralgia is caused by irritation or injury to two nerves that run from the upper neck to the back of the head. The irritation could be due to  neck trauma, pinching of the nerves (by muscles or arthritis), and other causes. Symptoms include a piercing sharp pain that travels from the upper neck to the back of the head and behind the ears. It is usually a one sided pain but can be on both sides of the head. Treatment includes physical therapy, medications, and in some cases injections, "nerve blocks", during which a physician injects the irritated nerves with an anesthetic.

One rare cause of headache at the base of the head  (called occipital headache) in older adults is called occipital condyle syndrome, and this may be due to metastases from cancer. This is rare, and is often associated with other neurologic findings such as involvement of the nerves to the tongue, leading to the tongue deviating to one side. Again this is rare, and since your symptoms have been going on for 2 years, this makes this as cause unlikely.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope I have provided you with useful information, good luck.