Neurology Expert Forum
severe muscle/bone pain and weakness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

severe muscle/bone pain and weakness

Been having severe muscle pain and weakness (and extremely tight) that has progressively gotten worse in the last 2 months.  I have seen an endocrinologist, a chiropractor, a physical therapist, and have gotten many test done.  I'm 21 years old 6'1 260 lbs athletically (205 13% bf when i was 17-18) built (arms and legs) with central obesity.  I have low body temperature 96.1-97.2 on average with extremely cold feet ( have to wear 4 pairs of socks) but the endo ruled out hypothyroidism.  Recently my left leg has been frequently giving out when walking.  The pain is overwhelming and my muscles feel like there about to tear due to tightness i'm honestly not sure what to do at this point.  Thanks for your time- Jordan
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Muscle cramps are not an uncommon manifestation of a systemic viral illness, however, this seems less likely since you don't have other symptoms of a viral infection and this has been going on for a while. Muscle cramps may be due to myopathy. A myopathy is basically a generic term for a muscle problem. Myopathies can be inflammatory, as is the case with a disorder called polymyositis which is an autoimmune disorder. Also, there are genetic myopathies, of which there are several, each with its own characteristics and features. Finally, and probably most commonly, metabolic causes such as thyroid problems or low potassium can be the cause of muscle cramping. The latter 2 can be diagnosed with simple blood tests. Certain medications, particularly cholesterol medications called statins, can cause muscle cramping.

EMG in addition to simple blood tests such as a CK level can assess for the presence of myopathy.

I would suggest that you follow up with a neurologist to evaluate your muscle cramps.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.