Neurology Expert Forum
syncope convultions

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

syncope convultions

My 14 year old daughter is having these spell where she faints then convults not sure of the cause but this happens either in the bathroom or when she gets overheated while outside just being a kid. What should I do? We went to a neurologist and he said at this time she passed all the test that was given to her by him. She was born 9 weeks early. Now we are off to a cardiologist to see if her heart is pumping enough blood to her brain so not sure what to expect. I am very worried about this cause she had so many problems when she was a infant and toddler. The doctor said that we would have things pop up through out her life. So I guess this is part of it. I know that there is several reasons that she could be doing this. One is malnutrition but she takes vitamins. She is healthy she eats good.The neuro also said that oneof her valves could be enlarged what if it is then what will the next step be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Causes of fainting (medically termed syncope) in younger children could have several potential causes. The most common cause of syncope in general is termed vasovagal response, in which the heart rate responds inappropriately to changes in posture and blood pressure. This is not series, is very common, and often a cause is not identified, but dehydration, and sudden changes in posture contribute to it.

A heart problem certainly would be high on the list of possibilities and it sounds like you're on the right track with plans for evaluation by a cardiologist. Heart rhythm problems (what are medically termed arrhythmias) as well as heart valve problems and other structural cardiac problems are all possibilities. The exact management will depend on the underlying cause; sometimes with arrhythmias certain medications can be given, or ablative procedures done. For heart valve problems, the heart may just be observed with ultrasounds periodically, or severe cases or when symptoms are occurring, surgery or endovascular procedures may be done.

Sometimes, convulsive activity can occur after syncope (what is termed convulsive syncope) without there being an underlying neurologic cause (i.e syncope due to cardiac causes can sometimes lead to brief convulsive activity).

Neurologic causes of syncope are uncommon, but as you mention, when convulsions occur with an episode of loss of consiousness, seizures are a possibility. A brain wave study called EEG is used to assess for epileptiform activity; while a normal EEG is reassuring, an EEG can be normal in someone with seizures unless the EEG is normal during an actual episode. Sometimes, when another cause to loss of consciousness with convulsions is not found, prolonged EEG monitoring until an episode is captured during the EEG recording is done. Seizures are more likely to occur in children with perinatal injury (prior to or at birth), and are often treatable with medications.

Continued followup with your daughter's physicians is recommended.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.