Neurology Expert Forum
unexplained muscle spasm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

unexplained muscle spasm

which medical specialties may be best suited to determine the cause of severe and frequent muscle spasm in area of body to the left of the spine and the right of the shoulder blade?
  • MS-related? (1 replies):
    Can Multiple Sclerosis cause bulging discs?
  • head shocks (1 replies):
    i all ways get shocks in my head when i move my eyes t...[more]
  • nerve pain (1 replies):
    What would cause a buzzing sensation in my mid back area...[more]
  • Shoulder Blade Pain (1 replies):
    Hi, I have a reoccuring pain in my right shoulder bl...[more]
  • EMG (1 replies):
    I suddenly discovered wastage of my left calf muscle abo...[more]
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Muscle spasms in the area of the spine, so-called paraspinal muscle spasms, result from various causes including poor posture, prolonged sitting or standing in the same position, excessive strenuous activity that imposes stresses on the back. Similar causes for shoulder blade pain. Treatment typically includes physical therapy, stretching, massage, and anti-inflammatories as prescribed by a physician. This is not an uncommon problem and does not necessarily require a specialist, discussion of your symptoms with an internist/family doctor is recommended, and if he/she feels that a specialist is required referral can be made.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.