Neurology Expert Forum
vertigo

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

vertigo

is there any relationship between neck spasms and vertigo or is it just coincidental?  i pulled my neck muscles trying to pull someone  into a chair...the muscles became tight especially at the base of my skull and there is pressure inside my head...no pain or tingling etc....about 5 hrs after this i had vertigo where my head was spinning and i had to hold onto something....i had to lay down for it to stop...it came and went for the next few hours not as bad as the first time...i also had an off balance feeling when i bent over even a little bit...this lasted till the next morning....now i just have the tension, where i feel my neck has to hold my head up and with a little bobbing/pressure feeling in my head....... thank you for your response
There is an entity called cervicogenic vertigo which is accepted some physicians to mean vertigo induced by problems in the cervical spine (neck region).  There are a number of reports in the medical literature describing patients who hyperextended their neck or had some kind of neck trauma/arthritis that induced symptoms of vertigo. This represents one possiblity for the cause of your symptoms.

Another more serious possiblity is that of a tear in one of the arteries in the neck which can occur from traum.  This produces a stroke in the brainstem or back part of the brain, which can lead to symptoms of vertigo.  However, this is usually accompanies by other symptoms such as numbness of the face and body, slurred speech,etc...

If your symptoms persist or worsen, consider getting in to your family doc to get it checked out. Good luck.