Neurosurgery Expert Forum
any surgical option instead of fusion C3-4 ?

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

I have severe degenerative arthritis of my entire spine.  I have had prior surgical fusions of C4-5-6-7 and C7-T1 is partially fused on its own.  My C3-4 disc has been centrally herniated for 7+ years and has been calcifying over itself.  Now that disc has "blown out" compressing my spinal cord and impinging both C4 nerve roots.  My right side C3 facet is grossly enlarged.  I have been in spinal-related pain since childhood.  I have had all the conservative treatments over many years & nothing helps.

My 1st question is whether there is any surgical alternative for me that would not require disc removal and  fusion?  I have been told they can't do posterior surgery with C3 being too near the brain stem.

My 2nd question is whether places like Laser Spine Institute (based Tampa, FL) can really do what they claim?!?  They claim they can use the laser tool and trim off the herniated/ruptured disc, relive the nerve pressure on C4, fix any stenosis, fix arthritic spurs, and save the remaining disc with no fusion, etc.  Every other Neurosurgeon I have asked about it say it is not possible, especially at the C3-4 level, and not to waste my time (& money) with them,  What do you know about the Laser Spine Institute &/or what is your opinion based on my desscribed problems?

I obviously want to avoid more fusion.  But the pain is horrific and very debilitating to my life (I'm 61 now).  Please let me know what you think, and if there are any other surgical options for me?  Nothing has helped including facet blocks, nerve blocks, etc, etc.  Please reply ASAP.  Thank you.
The only possible solution and seen by me '' light '' for your case is the laser spine institution. this is not a loosing money at all. please start to take Menaquinone for the rest of your life. be in touch. i am waiting for your news. Dr Nassim Abi Chahine