Nutrition Community
Did I give myself cold sores down there??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Do you think this is herpes, a boil, in grown hair, or...?
I'm 36 years old and have had cold sores since I was about 3 years old, not sure where I got them, I am the only one in my family with them. They always show up at the worst times: important meetings, important function, wedding, vacation, etc. Have been with the same partner for 13 years, he does not get them. Is it possible I gave myself herpes "down there"? I always wash my hands when I have the cold sores outbreaks, but I have been having many outbreaks lately (stress from work) and eating the wrong things (namely chocolate, etc).
About 5 days ago, I noticed a bump on the outside of my girl "parts". I dont want to go into much detail, but its clearly one big, pimple-like bump. Never had anything like this ever. I noticed because I started wearing new underwear, and they are way too tight...they have a seam sort of across the front lower area and was hitting me right in that spot and was itchy, anyways I tried wearing these 5 pair of underwear all week (hoping they would loosen up), and on the final day thats when I noticed this bump. I did a search on Wiki and the picture of gen. herpes doesnt look anything like this thing. It almost looks like a boil, which I have never gotten, but my partner however has suffered from them all his life. Is it even possible to get a boil "down there?". I have helped him get rid of them before, but I certainly dont ever remember touching my body right after and always wash my hands.

Is it possible I washed my hands but didnt do a good enough job, or spread it when I was in the shower?
This thing is one bump, no clusters or blisters at all, has a head today and I popped it and pus came out. I am freaking out. It almost looks like an in-grown hair, but I've never had an in-grown in this area (lip), right on the outside of my parts. If I did transfer my cold sores virus to myself down there, does this mean now I will forever get them down there? :(
Tags: herpes cold sores, Herpes, Cold Sores
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Without a complete evaluation I may not be able to determine the exact cause of your symptoms. A cold sore can be transmitted to the genitals only if you touch your cold sore and then touch your genitals. The virus causing cold sores doesn't survive for more than a few seconds in open air. Genital herpes can cause cracked red areas around your genitals .There may be small blisters which break open and cause sores. The common possibilities of your bump are ingrown hair or a boil. Small pimples and pustules in the pubic and genital areas which increase after an increase in sexual activity may be due to too much skin-to-skin friction and abrasions, breaking the hair follicles. It is best to be checked by a health care provider. You should respond to topical antibiotics. Do write to me again.
Best wishes and regards!