Nutrition Community
Fiber

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Fiber

Hello.  I currently take oil capsules, 3/day.  I also try to eat a high fiber diet.  I eat lots of oatmeal, beans, and usually a serving of metamucil every day (but admittedly not enough fruits/vegetables---but I'm working on it!).  My concern is how/when best to take my fish oils as my understanding is that fiber significantly reduces their absorption. In addition, the directions are to take the fish oils with a meal.  For better or worse, however, most of my meals are high fiber.  

How/when is it best to take the fish oil?  How long, for example, should I wait to take them after a breakfast of oatmeal, beans and eggs or a serving of metamucil to ensure optimal absorption?  I also prefer not to take them too late in the day as it interferes with my sleep.  Thanks for your help.
best time to take fish oil is in the morning before you eat