Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Periodontal Disease/ Implants

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Periodontal Disease/ Implants

First off I would like to say that I have not taken very good care of my teeth and I have Periodontal Disease.
But I am only 52 years old and my teeth feel great, no pain, and strong a bit. Recently I went to the dentist for a check up and he told me that I have to much bone lose and ALL my teeth need to come out and be replaced with implants at a cost I cannot possibly afford. Does anyone have any input on how my mouth and teeth can feel great and yet my dentist wants to pull all my teeth?
Yes, periodontal disease and bone loss occurs without causing pain in most cases.  If you have any doubts about the treatment plan recommended to you by your dentist, you should seek a second opinion my either a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon or Periodontist.

Sometimes it is better to remove the teeth before more bone is lost.  The bone is important to hold a dental implant or dentures.  

You also may defer the placement of the dental implants until you can afford them.  In the meantime, your dentist can make your interim dentures.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.