Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Tooth implant, infection, sweating

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Tooth implant, infection, sweating
Hi Doc,

six months ago I got a titanium implant for a tooth that was extracted a while back.
About six weeks ago apparently I developed an infection (periimplantitis) on my new implant.
I had an abscess, got antibiotics for a few weeks, until the dentist cleaned out the bone four weeks ago.
The implant is still there.

Here is my question: since I have first developed the abscess I keep sweating at night. I'm waking up basically every night sweating. It's not really bad, I never had to change PJs or sheets, but it's really disturbing.

Do you have any idea if this abscess and an infection around the implant could be the cause of this?
Have you seen this before?

Chronic systemic infections can cause night sweats, but there would usually be other symptoms related to the infection. I would recommend seeing your primary doctor regarding the "night sweats" and continue to follow the resolution of that abscess with your oral surgeon.
Dr T

p.s. you're not starting menopause are you?

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.