Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
swollen tongue, pain, fever, etc.

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

swollen tongue, pain, fever, etc.

2 weeks ago I started with a scalding pain all along the top of my tongue, some swelling, pain in the roof of my mouth, fever, aches & pains, a few canker sores under my tongue, & a swollen gland in my neck. Over the next 2 days my tongue swelled until it was difficult to talk or swallow, my jaw, lips and neck also were swollen & the gland was now the size of a squished golf ball. The scalding pain on my tongue made it so that for the last 2 weeks all I've been able to eat is Slimfast & creamed soups. I've lost over 10lbs. I chew on my fingernails, three of my fingers are now very infected. The fever & aches & pains lasted for 10 days. I've been to the doctor (internal med) 3x, he's treated me with 1st Zpack & lidocaine viscous, when I went back the next day he thought I was having an allergic reaction to the Zpack, even though I told him I've had Zpack a mill. times & the swelling started the day before the antibiotic, he treated me with a steriod shot, medrol dose pack, & DC Zpack, instead 10 day Avelox, The swelling decreased a little bit over the next week, some canker sores went away, some new ones showed up, & my bottom lip turned into a bag of green puss. I went back, he gave me nystatin suspension swish & swallow tid for 5 days, & bactrim ds bid for 3 days for the hematuria that I'd experienced the previous 3 days, he said that if my symptoms did not improve by the following week to follow up with a doctor that specializes in autoimmune disorders. The nystatin seemed to help the most, unless the "infection" or "virus" is just running its course, but the tongue swelling & canker sores are not completely gone. One of the 3 infected fingers seems to be getting worse, and I woke up this morning coughing up mucous and tasting blood in my mouth & I have a fever again. The earliest I can see the autoimmune spec. is 1/24/09 What is wrong with me?
What you are describing is consistent with Coxasackie Virus Infection.  I suggest you see an infectious disease specialist.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/enterovirus/hfhf.htm

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.