Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
wisdom tooth

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

wisdom tooth

Hi doctor,

I had my wisdom tooth removed for my right lower jaw side 2 and the 1/2 month ago, my stich removal was 1 and the 1/2 months ago. My wound looks healing but the place where the tooth roots sits still looks red, i not sure if i am exposed to virus like hiv if my gum still red, but no more bleeding. I get paronoid when i am eating or kissing someone, can i have oral sex without worry?

Is my gum situation still a portal of entry for hiv and would all surgery wound recovery after such a long period?

thanks
Generally speaking, most surgical wounds in the mouth should have healed within 2 weeks.  I suggest you return to the surgeon who did the extraction for a re-evaluation.

It is possible to transmit and receive the HIV virus with oral sex as the virus is also found in saliva.  You should always practice "safe" sex including oral sex.  However, it is not the purpose of this forum to discuss the specifics of sexual encounters.

If you believe you may have been exposed to the HIV virus then you should immediately sustain from all sexual activity with another partner and get tested.

HIV infections can cause a delay and prolonged healing.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.