Ovarian Cysts Community
nausea related to ovarian cysts??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

nausea related to ovarian cysts??

Hi, I have asked a few question previously about ovarian cysts and an elevated ca 125. In Aug. 07 my doctor was sure that I had an ectopic pregnancy, but when performing a laparoscopy found that it was a rather large ovarian cyst. The cyst was drained and the fluid was sent to pathology. The results of the pathology reaport was non-malignant. Then in Sept. 07 a 2.8 complex cyst was noted on an transvaginal ultrasound. In Nov 07 another transvaginal ultrasound was ordered and also a ca 125 blood test. The ultrasound was normal (the complex cyst was gone), but the ca 125 was elevated at 52. In Jan 08 had another ca 125 test and that result was 41. During the month of January I was frequently nauseated.An ultrsound at the end of January was normal with a moderate amount of fluid present. In Feb. 08 another ca 125 was done and it was 52. Yet another ultrasound was completely normal. I would periodically feel nauseated in March and another ca 125 test done in march was 47. In April an ultrsound was done the results showed a cyst on each ovary the left measured 2.0cm and the right measured 1.7cm. At the end of April I had another laparoscopy (diagnostic to check pelvic organs) which revealed normal ovaries, uterus and all other pelvic organs. The only thing that was found was a small 1.5 cm spot of endometriosis in the right cul-de-sac that was cauterized. Everything was great for the month of May. Then in June i started feeling nauseated again and was having pain on the right side pelvic area that seemed to radiate around to my hip and lower back. All on the right side. Well I had another transvaginal ultrasound and it revealed a 5cm simple cyst on my left ovary and a 4.2 cm cyst on the right ovary. Doctor feels that these could not be causing my pain. He did run another ca 125 test at this point and it was 58 then two weeks later it was done again and the result was 48. My question is can this types of cysts cause frequent nauseation and if so why do they cause nauseation and do they cause this kind of pain when they are this size? Should I be worried? He has put me on the nuva ring to surpress ovulation and will do another transvaginal after my next period. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Cysts can and do cause pain for many women , Im afraid that many doctors are of the opinion that cysts don,t cause pain but many women on this forum including myself will tell you they do. Sometimes cysts can cause hormonal imbalances and this can be a reason for nausea . If you go to the health pages on the right hand side at the top of this page , you will find a lot of information on different types of cysts and their symptoms.
Yes, cysts can cause nausea and my you've had your run of them!  The nausea can be caused by the cyst pushing on your stomach and/or the hormones involved.  For pain there is no rhyme or reason as some small cysts cause a lot of pain and some larger ones none.  It really depends on the person and where the cyst is pushing on inside.  Endometriosis can raise your CA-125. I am concerned that a complex cyst was allowed to burst and no follow up was done.  I would be asking for a referral to a gyn and insist that they do rule out cancer (not that I think that is what you have but you do have to advocate for your own health).  You don't say how old you are so not sure if getting rid of the ovaries would be helpful.
Thank you for your reply. I had read in a few post that hormonal imbalances can be caused by cysts and that nausea may occur do to this. Do you know if there is a way for the doctor to check for a hormonal imbalance (ie. blood test)? I have looked at information on the health pages and it was very helpful.

Corky
Hi Trudie,
The complex cyst was seen on an ultrasound (Sept.07)at was ordered by my regular doctor and the report was given to my gyn (first gyn). He really didn't say to much about and was not at all worried. Then in Nov.07, I decieded to go for a second opinion due to some cramping that I was experiencing in the pelvic area. This gyn decided to send me for an transvaginal ultrasound and my first ca 125. The results were as I stated above, normal ultrasound with elevated ca 125. Then this was followed with numerous ca 125's, ultrsounds, cat scan (Jan 08) and another lap (April 08). Now I currently have the two ovarian cysts that are classified as "simple" and the ca 125 is at 48. Gyn thinks that these cysts will be gone after next cycle and currently has me using the nuvaring. Do you think that this is enough testing to relax and be comfortable with the nausea and pain being contributed to "simple" cysts? Thank you for time.
Corky
oh, sorry I forget to mention that I am 38 years old as of today!
Happy Birthday !! , sorry that you are in pain though . There are blood tests to check your hormone levels and maybe it would be a good idea to ask your doctor if he could run some tests on you .

Best wishes Angie
Thank you for your birthday wishes! I am actually doing pretty good with the pain. The last few days have been pain free. Not sure if this means that the cysts may be resolving (I hope). I will get my doctor to check my hormone levels. Thanks for the info.

Best wishes to you also, Corky
Happy 38th Birthday!!! Hope your feeling well enough to enjoy your day.
I am 43, had ovarian cysts, always left ovary, and the pain and nausua and absolute crappy feeling was experienced fo many years. I feel for you very much.
You are definetly doing the right thing staying on top of this issue you have been experiencing. Although truly frustrating, stay persistent.
I would reccommend seeing an Endocrinologist as well to check all of your Hormone levels as well. You need to find out, if the doctors can, why you repeatedly produce cysts.
I have also been on compounds to level my hormones as well.
Best of luck feeling well, and being well.

Trimac24
Happy Birthday!  If the cysts are resolving themselves then you shouldn't worry but looking into why you are getting these would be good.  I was just surprised that a complex resolved itself.  I hope you will good enough to enjoy your day!
A very happy Birthday...Hope  you're having a wonderful day.

I echo what the others have said.. My cyst was very small, yet I still had twinges of pain on that side. My Dr. said .. nope... did not cause pain.. Well, after I had the ovary out, after a few weeks, this "non pain" mysteriously disappeared ! So, go figure that one !. And, yes I too had nausea. Perhaps from "stress" worrrying about what on earth "it" was but it was off and on..

It isn't unusual to monitor these every 3 months or so. And please don't worry too much about that CA-125. There are so many things that can elevate those numbers. That's why they aren't to be relied upon in younger women.

Let us know what the Dr. advises

Take care,
Sandy
Dear Corky,

Happy Birthday!!!!  You are to young to have to be worrying about this and I wish they would come up with something definitive and quit this back and forth stuff.
Drs are SO wrong about cysts not causing pain.  Almost everyone I know had pain from them even when they were small.  I will have to find out about the hormone thing and nausea, but looking at what the others wrote it kind of makes sense.  I am the person who ALWAYS gets nauseous, but I was not nauseous prior to diagnosis.  Now I think that maybe that was because I was post menopausal and my hormones weren't the way they were before menopause.  

I hope they figure all of this out very soon.
Take care of you and keep fighting for your health,
Jan
lol .. my opinion stays the same on whether they cause pain or not ... my doc is a man and i think that since he was not born with ovaries he is not allowed to have an opinion on pain ... hope that made u chuckle

my cysts didnt hurt til they were huge then i had all the symptoms of pregnancy without the baby (including the nausea) ... so much so that my original familiy practitioner thought i was pregnant and sent me for the ultrasound for "pregnancy" and instead i had some fairly large bilateral complex ovarian cysts ... for everyone its different

always u know ur body better than anybody and if its not right its not right .. keep swinging away til u get an answer :)
love
sharon