Parenting Expert Forum
child is to quiet

Questions in the Parenting Forum are being answered by doctors from MindWorks. Topics include: Behavioral Issues - Discipline, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Recreation, School Issues, Social Development

child is to quiet

my 8 yr old son has reacently gone very quite and emotional the wont talk to no one and crys alot and it is getting upsetting for all the family. i am now at my wits end and dont know what i should do  
Tags: emotional
   a sudden change in mood and behavior is certainly something to be concerned about in an 8 year old. If you child is having a hard time telling you what is going on, than I recommend you play it safe and take him to a professional as soon as you can.  This could be so many things-- from bullying, to a mood disorder, to abuse that it is best to take it seriously. You do not want to take a chance that it could be something serious. I would call your pediatrician and ask for a check in (just to rule-out anything medical like a blood sugar or thyroid problem) and ask for a referral to a child psychologist.  Hopefully this will turn out to be something easily addressed.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik