Pediatric Cardiology Community
5 yr old daughter fainting and blue lips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

My 5yr old daughter has had 4 episodes of fainting the first two been the worst i was called to school as she fainted when standing (not doing anything energetic) the teacher noticed blue around her mouth i took her to gp and while waiting in waiting room she was on my knee very pale(grey in colour face and lips and blue around her mouth she passed out in my arms and was unconcious for around 20mins the doctors lay her on bed and rang ambulance her face was grey in colour and lips the same colour as her face. We arrived at ae and admitted for the night to monitor she had bloods took and ecg and oxygen and also tests to check epilepsy all ov which were fine oxygen was slightly low at times. We left with a 48hr ecg connected to her when we returned the 48hr ecg was checked aqnd couldnt find anything.this happened jan 2011 we left after been told there is no explanation to what has happened and it may never happen again. Untill last wedensday i was called to school as my daughter had fainted in class when i arrived she was in the recovery posicion looking pale but not unconcious and not grey like the first and second time and was advised by staff that lips where blue and dry. i took her back to ae on the journey there she was in my arms couldnt really talk and looking unwell once arriving at ae she came to life agaain wanting to play typical. We then had tests agin ecg which was fine oxygen was fine and blood pressure the doctor listened to her heart and said no murmers. We left with the result as a classical faint? and may never happen again till today just over a week later i got a phone call from the school she had fainted again same as last week still concious and she said everything goes blurry and cloudy ambulance came and she had ecg in the ambulance the paramedic advise she has irregular heart beat???? she didnt look well all the way to hospital but once again when we arrive she wants to play and seems herself we saw 2 doctors 1 ov which we saw last week and a new 1 and also a specialist who do another ecg which looked fine and oxygen fine and blood pressure fine so they still saying classical faint. They do seem confussed with whats happening and wondering whether it could be hormonal problems as she has a pale patch on her skin on inside of leg and also inside elbow. Another thing i should mentions is we where on holiday 29th aug when we arrived home she had tonsilitis she has had 4 lots of antibiotic and gp wont give anymore as it isnt making any better the back of her throat is just about closed this is a long time now we have been transfered to ent outpatiants appointment 6th dec to see what to do she is normal fit and well and never complains doing really well in school she does snore in bed and has done for as long as i can remember and sneezes often probably 6 to 7 times when she wakes up every day she does also have quiet a few nose bleeds but they dont last long. I am really concerned about my daughter and would appreciate any help or advice any1 can give

Hello and welcome to the site. I am taking it that you are not in the US with some of the abbreviations that you have used on here such as: ov. Has your daughter seen a pediatric cardiologist? How about a pediatric nuerologist? Another thought would be to have her be tested for her blood sugar levels. I am not talking about a one time blood draw to check her sugar level, I'm talking about a 4- 5 hour test with several blood draws. Low blood sugar can cause the symptoms you are describing. Why didn't the EMTs turn the "irregular" take over to the er doctors? See if you can get a King Of Hearts Monitor on her and if she faints again at school, or if she is with you and faints, you can push the button and it will record everything from just before she faints through her syncopal episode. It is not a Holter Monitor. You daughter needs to be on an antibiotic for her throat; some bacterias that cause throat problems can get into the bloodstream and reek havoc in the body causing arthritis as well as in a small percentage of children, heart issues. If one anti biotic doesn't work, usually another antibiotic is perscribed. If you take take your daughter to a major University Hospital that see pediatric cardiology patients, that would probably be a good thing. Pediatric cardiology EKG are different than adult EKGs so you really want a pediatric cardiology specialist to look at your daughters'. Take care