Pediatric Cardiology Community
BP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

BP

you think I should know with all of Chris' issues but I was wondering, SYLVIA (HA HA) if you can tell me what a BP in someone chris' age (7)  he usually runs like a 90/65 and is active.. a few weeks ago when we were at his cardiologist appointment the nurse almost pooped her pants she took his BP with two different cuffs..(too make sure) his BP then was88/44 he was so tired he slept all the way over there (1 1/2 hour car ride, his appointment was at 11 and he slept all  night and got up 1/2 later then normal) he was tired and not himself during the exam, the cardiologist was basically "watching" him and kept asking him if he was okay.. i assumed he was getting sick because of how tired he was didn't really think of anything and his cardiologist said it could have something to do with  low bp  then last week i took him for a visit to his pcp and his BP then was 90/40   is this normal I can't wait until he goes to boston next Thursday
Michelle
Hi Michelle, the normal BP in a child his age is around 104/55. However saying that you have to understand that the size of the cuff being used can alter those readings: a cuff that is too narrow can overestimate and a cuff too wide can underestimate those readings. Medications can also have an effect as well as hydration. Height also plays into the picture. He has probably come down with a bug and is a bit dehydrated. Are you going to Boston for more testing?