Pediatric Cardiology Community
Did anyone have complication with small VSD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

MY daughter was born with a large VSD and small ASD. She's now 16 months old, the ASD is gone, and the VSD is now small and very restrictive. She's doing well, but we were warned that there are possible complications as long as the VSD is present: subaortic membrane, increase leaking in the tricuspid valve, muscle bands in the right ventricle, and prolapse of the aortic cusp (?)... anyways, I was just wondering if anyone here had actually had them happen?
Hello and welcome to our site. When your daughter was born she had a large VSD and now it is small; that's a good sign in the respectr that it looks like the hole is closing. ALL babies are born with holes in their hearts. Those holes alloed the mother and baby's blood to circulate before the baby was born. Most holes close by the age of one year, some take a bit longer, still others never close completely. If your baby is doing well, as you say, I probably wouldn't worry too much about this. You will drive yourself nuts if you do. It's always the : "What if....." Enjoy this time with your little one; believe me, they grow up way too fast these days. Take care  
I'm not worrying about it, was merely curious. Trust me, I know pretty well all there is to know about VSDs and ASDs, we went through months of heart failure, facing surgery, feeding tubes, medications and other complications etc... Not much phases me now. I was just curious as to how often those situations actually occur.
Hi there I haven't seen you in a while..Chris has ahs some regurgitation, however our doctor has said that this can be normal even in healthy people... sometimes he sees on Chris' echo and then the next time it is gone.(tricuspid) the issue he has with the right bundle is that he has a complete blockage, but this was due to his surgery.. I wasn't aware of the other stuff however Chris had surgey so I am not sure if that is why you were "warned"  how is she doing, how aer you doing.. is she getting into her big brothers stuff.. take care
Michelle
Hello.
My daughter was born with a small VSD 4mm diagnosed at birth.  She has not had any complications as far as rapid heart rate, cyanosis...ect.  She is 5yrs old now and after a recent echo the doctor said that the whole has closed but tissue has grown around the aortic valve and she may need surgery.  He said this is abnormal and I am extrememly informed but feeling disappointed.  Maybe if she would have had surgery to close the whole, she would not have aortic valve probems.  Just my experience....good luck in yours.