Pediatric Cardiology Community
Fetal Growth - Desperate Help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Fetal Growth - Desperate Help?

Fetal Growth - Desperate Help?
Our Baby Ultrasound details (20weeks + 2 days)

BPD:42.8mm
HC: 155.4mm
AC:137mm
FL:33mm
HC/AC: 1.13
BPD/FL: 1.30
Weight Estimated : 287 gms

Everything else is normal. The baby's Heart is diagnosed with Tetralogy of Fallot in the last ultrasound. But the Doctor says it can be fixed after birth and it is quite a successful procedure. That has made us feel positive about this pregnancy. But the doctor is really concerned about the growth of the baby and he feels that the baby is not growing as expected and that can cause the surgery to be very difficult. He also wanted us to do a amniocentesis and we did it yesterday. We are waiting for the results. At this juncture, Doctor wants us to make a decision to terminate or proceed with the pregnancy. We are not able to make a decision. Our opinion was if the amnio has any abnormalities then we are planning to unfortunately go for a termination, but if those results are good (no abnormalities) then we want to proceed with the pregnancy.

Can anybody tell us if the ultrasound biometry numbers are good enough. Any suggestions, advice..

Please help...

Regards
Worried (tobe) Parents
Not sure how the numbers compare to average.  However, I would definitely advise that you continue the pregnancy, abnormalities or not.  I have some friends who had a baby girl this spring.  A few months into the pregnancy, they were given bad news regarding their baby.  Their baby would be born with very serious heart problems among other things.  They decided that she was in God's hands and prayed for His will.  Whether she lived or died, they were going to continue the pregnancy until their little girl died or until she was born.  The doctors said she wouldn't live long after birth and that my friends should have everything in place for her funeral.  This little girl is now almost four months old and doing well.  Doctors can give their opinions based on various tests but God is in control of things.  If HE decides to take this baby, that is his right.  He created this baby and can do as HE chooses.  Pray for His will and let Him decide what happens to this baby.  Whether this baby lives or not, you don't want to be responsible for that decision and you don't want to have to go through Post Abortion Syndrome for the rest of your life.  I pray for wisdom, strength, and encouragement for you.
can I please make a suggestion before you do anything if your test come back abnormal? please consult with a pediatric cardiologist and bring your medical information with you and discuss everything with the doctor about what type of life your little would have? this way here you get it from the person who specializes in the kids heart and who can give you the information you really need this way here you can make an informed choice if the test result do come back abnormal no matter what choice you make, there will always be regrets.
My son has a few cardiac issues when he was born, we didn't know about it at all...he had a large hole in the bottom of his heart (VSD) 10mm they said that when they did his surgery at 3 1/2 months old his heart was the size of a walnut and the hole was the size of a dime... he also  had an ASD hole in the top and he had to have another procedure having the patent ductus to close and they ligated that.. his pressure were high, he was shy one thing to be diagnosed with the TOF.  which he got that one thing AFTER the surgery which is fine any way they had to wait until he was big enough to do the surgery.. my son is doing fine from the cardiac standpoint, sort of, and he is 6 1/2 years old now..he is small for his age, 21% for height and 22% for weight. which it doesn't matter. his is a fighter and he is here...
I'm not trying to convince you continue or not to continue with your pregnancy.  it is stressful for the parents to wait for the day the surgery comes it is scary.   just to let you know, our son was extremely large for a baby born with a cardiac defect, thankfully he was 10 days early he was 8 pounds and they said that they are tiny babies because when they are getting the food from you and when they are born, the heart is working faster so it burns more calories..
I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do choose to do, this isn't an easy thing to go through... hugs to you guys.
Michelle
I sent you a private message...
Michelle
Great Big Hugs to the both of you..
Michelle