Pediatric Cardiology Community
H1N1 in baby with heart defect?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

H1N1 in baby with heart defect?

My 9 month old baby has Tricuspid Atresia, Transposition of the great vessels (obviously), and two large septal defects.  With that being said, it is important that she does not get sick.  I am wondering if it would be a good idea to get the H1N1 vaccine for her?  My concern is that the H1N1 vaccine is very new with no results of how it works yet, it's a fast track medicine, and I'm not comfortable with that.  I also know that she could not be treated with anti viral medicatins if she was to get the flu, because she is on an aspirin regimen.  She is also on enalipril for blood pressure, and I don't know if these medications would counteract, or have side effects with the vaccine in the first place.  I am planning on talking to both my pediatrician and my cardiologist about this, but just thought the more opinions the better!  Thanks!
I would certainly give your pediatric CARDIOLOGIST a call and ask him. Your daughter has significant heart disease and therefore, her cardiologist should answer this kind of a question for you.
Mommy2744,

no need for that kind of language. And she is right. If you're going to talk to both doctors, why post the question here and stumble upon other doctors or 'educated people' that dont know your daughter's specific case? And do it soon.
BTW, grendslori, IS educated. Shes been through alot with her daughter, starting at a very young age...and she also has heart problem herself, so please do not assume everything.

All the best,

Claudia

P.S. My opinion, is YES Get the vaccine(if possible). She is in high risk category.
Many of us post questions here AND talk to doctors and specialists. As we all know, you often have to wait to talk to and/or get answers from doctors and specialists. When you are a mom and have a sick child or a child with a condition, its hard to wait for the doc appointment or callback. Since there might be  folks on the medhelp support community who may have had similar experiences, of course it makes sense to post here AS WELL as talk to doctors. I do agree that Mommy2744's comment to grendslori was rude and uncalled for since like most of us, she was only trying to help.

MM
I have no idea what was written to me on this post By Mommy 2744. Obviously it was a negative comment. I didn't realize I said anything to offend. The reason I wrote Cardiologist in capitals is because the more complex the problem the less able a general pediatrician is able to determine the right course of action; that is the main reason that we have the pediatric cardiologist. When my daughter's heart disease was diagnosed, she too was very complex (Severe Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, SSS, WPW,RBBB,LBBB, NSVT,A-Fib and a Maheim Fiber and finally a transplant); from that point on, we ONLY saw a pediatric cardiologist; he took care of all of her needs from colds to heart disease. He never wanted her to see a general pediatrician. He was, after all, a pediatrician first as are all pediatric cardiologists. You daughter has a complex heart problem and I stand by what I wrote; her cardiologist is the best person to ask about this vaccine; if there is any affect on the heart, which is probably why you are writing on here in the first place, he would be the person to know about that and he would be, after all, the person who would be treating her if there was a problem. I was not trying to insult you in any way, so please try not to feel offended.