Pediatric Cardiology Community
Healing after open heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Healing after open heart

I just wanted to know what us the general timeframe to expect my son to be back to normal after open heart? Even simple things like dressing in shirts that are not button up.
Everyone is different, but if there is no complications, my 3yr. old was really doing good after the 4th day. He did develop SVT fast heart rate, and is currently being treated for that. It's been 9 months and he's running around like superman. You are welcome to visit his carepages, pics are there from the very 1st start. Also, everything I have read have  stated recovery rate depends alot on the surgeon and his team.

http://www.carepages.com/carepages/jaydenslittlejourney
Also, try to find shirts that snap in the front, and beanie babies to help hold all the wires and tubes up. Take lots of pics.set up a carepage if you don't have one. This will allow you to make updates since you will be limited on phone use. Always request copies of all your child's test. I have a big ringbinder with the plastic inserts, very helpful. I have a portable medical records from birth, up until now.
Hello and welcome to our site! A lot will depend on the surgery your child has. My daughter had an open heart surgery for abation (which is now done in a cath lab as an outpatient or over night proceedure) and was still in the recovery room after 2 days; another little girl had an open heart to fix the hole in her heart the same day and she was already up and literally running the halls when my daughter was brought back to the floor. Both girls were 7 years old, so age had nothing to do with it. By the time your child goes home he should certainly be able to dress himself without any difficulty. It is very important for hime to 'get on with his life' and be a normal child so everything he can do by himself, he should do. Check with his doctors/surgeon to see if he has any time frame restrictions and follow those restrictions, if any. take care