Pediatric Cardiology Community
My daughters heart murmur IS IT BACK?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

My daughters heart murmur IS IT BACK?

5324022?1264851071
My daughter was diagnosed with a heart murmur at the age of three months. She was seen by a cardiologist, he said that she had a sixty percent chance of needing open heart surgery and a forty percent chance that it would go away by the age of two. At age two she was checked and I was told that the echocardiogram was clean and we did not have to return to the heart specialist. For about two months my daughter has occasionally(usually when she is mad that she did not get her way) said she did not feel good and when asked where she does not feel good she will point to her chest. Today we went to the doc for a lingering cough she has had for a week and a half. While listening to her heart the doc says " did we already know about the heart murmur?"  When I told her the story I just told you above she said "well if she has been seen already, she should be fine, heart murmurs get louder when you are sick"
I have found that statement to be true that heart murmurs get louder when you are sick, however how can a heart murmer get louder when you are sick, when it was supposed to be completely gone??  should I be concerned about the alleged chest pain now that I know she still has a heart murmur? Do I need to get a second opinion, or go back to the heart doc that she already saw, She is four years old now, and she was a twin. Her twin was diagnosed with two heart murmurs, and supposedly they are both gone now. I am just a little confused!
One of the reasons murmurs become louder while a person is sick is because the fluid in the body tends too be thicker due to hydration issues. Try to not confuse not feeling good and pointing to the chest as chest pain. True heart related chest pains in children is extremely rare and the few forms of heart disease to cause those types of chest pain can't be missed. usually they are a result of the cardiomyopathies where the heart muscle itself is diseased. It sounds like your daughter is fine, but if it is a worry for you, then by all means get a second opinion.