Pediatric Cardiology Community
My one daughter diagnoss with 6 mm ASD and 4 mm VSD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

My new born baby daughter is  1 month old.When we went to Pediatric for regular check up.while checking the heart bits he feel bit strange and he suggested for 2D echo.Radiologist diagonesd with  6 mm ASD and 4 mm VSD.I have concern with the Pediatric Cardiologist and she have checked her and my daugther shows no symptons like while feeding or any breathing problem,When my daughter born her weight was 3.250 kgs after 25 days it was 3.450 gms. Doctor told us that ASD ll filll by its own and VSD has 50% chance to get fill by its own.They also told that sometime symptons may show after 2 or 3 month,asking for wait and watch .So i juzz want to reconfirm that it is possible that holes ll fill by its own or there any other options like medicines or any other new technology like any nonsurgical treatment
Waiting for reply  
Hi,My daughter too just turned 3 months now. At her first pediatric visit, the doctor heard a heart murmur and asked us to get a echocardiogram done.It showed that she had a 5mm perimembranous VSD. She shows no other symptoms other than slow weight gain..at birth her weight was 3.1kg and now its just 4 kg after 3 months. Doctor has asked us to jus wait... Is there a chance of the VSD closing?  Are there ways we can increase her weight and help ? we are now giving her calcium,vitamin n iron supplements(drops) as advised the the doctor.. Please advice further...Waiting for a reply
Hello and welcome to our site. One of the first things that parents really need to understand is that ALL babies are born with holes in their hearts. A baby's heart is designed that way to allow bloodflow between the mother and baby before the baby is born. The baby will have a "Functional" heart murmur as a result. For most babies, these holes will close by the time the baby turns one year of age. For some it takes longer and for others, the holes never close. Sometimes, surgery is required to fix the problem and the child goes on to live a normal life. Birth weighs can be tricking. The reason for that is because a percentage of that weight is water weight which the baby will lose soon after birth; after time they start to gain that weight back and then add to it. When my daughter was born she weighed 8lbs 9 1/2oz. She lost 7oz after birth and on her one month check up she hadn't gained back any of the 7oz she lost. She was put onto a Premature Baby Formula which the hospital supplied for us and in the first week she gained 8oz. It was very difficult for her to gain weight; she barely doubled her weight by the 1st year where it would have been expected for her to have tripled it. The clothes she wore were always behind her age; she was tall for her age but body size wise she was small so the clothes that fit her body never really fit her height such as in slacks. It was frustrating trying to get clothes for her. You might try asking your doctor about feeding your baby a premie formula.